Frequently Asked Questions

Who can attend GCISD schools?

The following may all attend school in GCISD...

When can my new student register.

Students moving into the district may enroll anytime during the school year through Skyward, the district's online program. Registration is completed, however, by taking the appropriate records to the school office. During the school year, students and parents may tour prospective schools by appointment.

For students who move into the district during the summer, campuses usually reopen the first week of August and registration verification dates vary by campus.

At what age may students enroll in Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten?

Students entering kindergarten must be five years of age on or before September 1st of the upcoming school year. Check out our Kindergarten registration page for more information.

Pre-Kindergarten students must be four years of age on or before September 1st of the upcoming school year. GCISD offers State-Funded and Tuition-Based Pre-Kindergarten programs. Check out our Pre-Kindergarten for more information.

If I currently have students enrolled in GCISD, when will I register them for the next school year?

I currently have students in the district, but I will be registering a kindergarten student this year. When do I register them?

When the window for Kindergarten Registration is open, simply log in to Skyward Family Access and add a new student by selecting “New Student Online Enrollment” tab.

What documents are required to register?

Students new to the district (including those entering Kindergarten) must provide Proof of Residency, birth certificate, social security number, immunization record, emergency contact numbers and a report card from the previous school unless enrolling in kindergarten.

For a student to register in GCISD, parents/legal guardians of students must either:
A. Verifiably own or lease a residence within GCISD OR
B. Verifiably reside with a resident of GCISD under a lawful order of the court, such as an executed Legal Power of Attorney.

For students living with other families, the student's parent, along with the person with whom the parent and student are living, must attend new student registration at the campus and complete either an affidavit of Residency and/or a Special Power of Attorney. The person with whom they reside must show two of the proof of residency documents below.

As part of registration I know that I need to verify my residency, can I do that online or do I need to go to the campus?

While the district requires this documentation, it is not mandatory to upload it online. New families may complete residency verification online; however, you may also bring the documents to the campus.

What immunizations does my child need?

Students must be in compliance with the required immunizations by age. More information is available in the Health Services section of the website.

On the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) page, I notice there are three options I may select, can you explain each one?

The only difference between the “local” and “public” options is the addition of social media. By selecting “public” the campus is authorized to include photos and selected student information on social media pages. At no point will any directory information be shared with third party requestors or 501(c)(3) organizations other than PTA, booster clubs, parent groups supporting the district's academic programs, yearbook vendors and the GCISD Education Foundation. Parents also have the option to select neither. By selecting this option, parents recognize that their student's photograph and name will not be used in the yearbook or any other campus publications.

Are after-school programs available?

Extended care is available at all elementary campuses through Extended Day Programs, the district-run program for after and before school care and enrichment. Children have the convenience of care right in their elementary schools, allowing them to easily participate in school activities held after school, such as choir practice, chess club or tutoring.

Is bus transportation provided?

Transportation is provided from homes more than two miles from the school in each attendance zone. Students must register for transportation services in GCISD, and registration can be completed by visiting

Bus transportation is not provided to students who are on a transfer to a campus other than their zoned campus.

May students enroll early, prior to legal residence in the District?

Families who are moving into the District and are building a house within GCISD boundaries may enroll their students while the house is being built. A contract showing the location of the lot and or existing home and date of move-in must be provided and appropriate paperwork filed at your campus.

Are Free and Reduced Meals provided at GCISD?

GCISD participates in both the National School Breakfast and National School Lunch program, which are federally funded. These programs make nutritious meals available for free or at a reduced price to eligible students. Paper applications must be submitted with original signatures. Faxes or copies of the application cannot be accepted. For more information, contact Nutrition Services.